Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Conversations with Ryan

We were on our way to the store today and Ryan just out of the blue starts this interesting little conversation:

Ry: "Mom, I'm not a food."

Me: "I know sweetie, you're a big kindergartener now."

Ry: "Then if I'm not a food, how come I was in your tummy?" Right now I'm thinking how did we get to this conversation?

Me: "Do you mean when you were a baby?"

Ry: "Yup, I was a baby in your tummy cuz you thought I was a piece of food and ate me."

Me: "Well, babies always start out in the mommy's tummy because that is where God has them grow."

Ry: "Well, did God eat me then?"

Me: "No Ryan. No one ate you. That is where God made you and then you got bigger and bigger in my tummy until it was time for you to come out."

Ry: "Well, how did I eat?"

Me: "When Mommy ate, you were connected to kind of a little straw that allowed you to eat what I was eating so that you stayed happy in there."

Ry: "Did I come out because I wasn't happy and I wanted to eat?"

Me: "No Ryan, you came out because it was time."

Ry: "Oh, okay... Mom? Can we eat lunch now? I'm hungry!"

Turns out that this all started because over the weekend, Courtney showed him some pictures of his ultrasound where he was in my tummy. She assures me she didn't tell him that I ate him, but just that is where he lived for a while. He came up with the rest on his own.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Ha! Ha! For awhile a year or two ago Grayson acted pretty offended when I explained that yes, I still ate even when he was in my tummy. How dare I let food fall on him! :) Their little minds are too much sometimes! Gotta love it.

Paige Lomas said...

So very literal and so very cute! I love how their minds work.

Growing Good Golfers said...

We had a similar conversation not long ago, but he wanted to know how babies get out of their mommies tummies. I stuttered for a couple of minutes and we got to where we were going without a good answer. Unfortunately I know it will come up again!

Sarri said...

Too funny! I hope he's loving school! Did C make Peter Pan??