Saturday, February 21, 2009

Signs, signs, and more signs

Since Ryan loves to spell things, he loves to spend countless hours (and I do mean HOURS) making signs to tape around the house. These signs are taped on his door, on the laundry room door, on our sliding glass door, etc. I don't leave them up for long, but just long enough to make him feel proud of his work. He comes up with some funny things to write on the signs, but they are always things that are on his mind. He is really big into listening to music, so it is not uncommon to find signs on his door that are about the music he is listening to. He is really good at remembering song titles and knowing the artists because whenever he likes a song he asks what it is called and who sings it and it is in the memory bank. And onto the sign it goes!

I have some pictures here of some of the signs he makes from time to time, but one of my favorites I don't have a picture of yet. Whenever I am in the kitchen making something (which hasn't been much this week, thus NO picture!), he makes a sign that says Mom Chef. He hums theme music to the show and says in his best announcer voice, "Okay everyone let's welcome Moooommmmmm Chef!" He then continues with what I will be making and then asks that I give a little diaglogue with what I am making for the "viewers at home." You would think that we watch the Food Network all the time, but honestly the boy spends more time watching Disney than anything else. It is really a crack up, and the whole time I am cooking, the Mom Chef sign is proudly displayed on the refrigerator. He ooos and ahhhs over all the things I'm doing and comments how this will be my best food yet. I'm not sure what he is waiting for, but I don't think anything that miraculous is going to come out of this kitchen!

Here are some pictures of some of the other signs he has made. And for the record, this is HIS spelling:

Confused on this one? Well, it says, according to Ryan, "Yes, we have NO smoking here". When asked where it says no smoking, he looks matter a factly at you and says, "There is a circle with a line through it. That always means no!" Alright then...



He loves to watch American Idol with us and it was "too early to vote" so he just made a sign for all the American Idol people.

And just in case you were thinking of taking a shower in his bathtub, you'll find this note posted on the door to the bathroom:


And finally, another favorite of mine. When he gets his own water, sometimes it spills, so we get a wet floor sign.



For those of you not versed in kid spell, this says "Wet floor experience".

I will admit the signs drive me crazy. There are open signs, closed signs, exit only signs, etc. But for now, it is kinda cute to see what is on his mind and hey, at least he is practicing his writing and spelling.

3 comments:

dg said...

He's going to be a great speller!! I love his signs!

dg said...

Oh, this is Dayna, not DG. I should always clarify that!! (My blogger ID has always just been my initials.)

Growing Good Golfers said...

Love it!